Boxing Gloves – Types
What are the different types of boxing gloves?
Read our guide below on the different type of gloves and how to buy online.
As a general guide, the main type of boxing gloves includes: bag gloves, training/fitness gloves, personal training gloves, sparring gloves and fighting gloves.
What size/weight should you choose?
At Punch® Equipment, this is a popular question from our customers. The short answer is that it depends on the individual. Such as your height and weight can determine the correct boxing glove weight. Another factor is the type of training you will be doing. So we have developed a simple chart that can be used as a guide when shopping for gloves online.
|Weight (KG):||Bag Work:||Sparring:||Weight (KG):||Bag Work:||Sparring:|
|Under 50kg||8oz||12-16oz||Under 45kg||6oz||12-16oz|
|Over 88kg||12oz||16-18oz||Over 70kg||12oz||16oz|
In the 51-65kg range, you can use an 8oz or 10oz for bag work. For sparring, 16oz is the best size.
If you’re in the 63-76kg range, choose a 12oz for bag work and a 16oz for sparring.
The same can be said for the 74-90kg range.
If you’re over 88kg, the major difference is using an 18oz for sparring is recommended.
For Women under 45kg, we recommend using a 6oz glove for bag work.
This is a kids glove but it will provide the best hand-fit.
While for sparring, a 12oz, 14oz or 16oz can be used.
In the 45-50kg range, you can hit bags with an 8oz and spar with a 16oz.
The 50-60kg range is pretty similar with just a 10oz for bag work recommended.
While for Women over 60 kg, a 12oz glove is best for bag work and 16oz for sparring.
The first type of boxing gloves is a bag glove. Generally, this is the first glove you’ll use before moving onto a sparring or fighting glove. Training on a punching bag will provide a beginner with the technique before hitting someone else. A bag glove should provide enough padding for a punching bag. This helps avoid any injuries in the hand and wrist area.
Pro Bag Busters® Commercial Boxing Mitts
- Developed with the protective knuckle padding of a boxing glove & the weight of a bag mitt
- Built for the fitness boxing training enthusiasts
- Designed for focus pads & boxing bag training
- Made with a high-grade, full elastic wrist wrap for a stretchy, secure & comfortable fit
- Semi-padded thumb for additional protection
- AAA Grade: 2 years, extended manufacturing faults warranty included
Training / Fitness
A training or fitness boxing glove is mainly the most common glove you’ll find online or at the gym. These gloves will come in a wide range of colours and weights. The weight size you choose should be based on four major factors: hand size, height, weight and muscle development.
In terms of muscle development, the heavier the glove – the more muscle that will build. If you’re looking for the best muscle building gloves, choose over a glove that is weighted over 14oz.
If you’re a personal trainer or fitness coach, the boxing gloves you choose will be based on the type of clients you work with. If you’re training ladies, you’ll generally be looking for a smaller size glove with a comfortable handfit. Safety gloves are also recommended for personal trainers as your client will want to feel safe with the gloves you provide.
GX Hybrid Punchfit® Gloves/Pads
- Developed for the Punchfit & Fitness Trainers
- Designed for use as a Boxing Glove & Focus Pad hybrid
- One Size Only ( similar to a 12oz handfit )
- Built with custom gel sections to allow for safer punching, catching punches and doing push-ups!
- Custom-built wrist support to add protection and stability
- Added rear ventilation panels to assist with sweat and moisture
In general, the best sparring gloves are weighted in 16 oz or 18 oz. They also need a lot more padding for sparring as they shouldn’t be hurting your opponent. The 16 oz or 18 oz weights also helps you before a fight. The reason for this is the heavier weight will make a fighting glove feel lighter. Then you can swing faster and get more hits on your opponent.
Armadillo™ Safety Boxing Gloves V30
- The premium safety boxing glove in the Punch Equipment® arsenal!
- Version 30 - Technologically advanced hand fit with over 30 years of experience behind its hand fit design
- Engineered for superior protection for your sparring & injury prevention
- Built with the exclusive 6cm Armadillo™ injected padding over the knuckles
- Designed with an intricate, turned in, injected Mexican thumb support padding to lower the risk of injury
- Built with a heavy-duty, full wrap, 3inch hook and loop wrist support
- Full genuine Cowhide leather casing with pillow palms allowing for a perfectly filled fist.
Fighting or competition gloves are used in boxing fight nights. The boxing gloves weight is usually 8oz, 10oz or 12oz, depending on the type of fight or promoter. The two types of fighting boxing gloves are lace ups and general gloves. A lace up glove provides a more customisable fit as you can tighten or loosen the laces for a better handfit. They can be used for sparring but you’ll need a trainer to lace them up. While a general fighting glove is similar to a training glove that you would use at the gym.
Trophy Getters® Lace Up Boxing Fight Gloves
- The renowned Trophy Getters Boxing Gloves® in a full leather lace up!
- Developed for in-ring Amateur & Professional Fighting
- Built with a smooth wrist lacing closure for streamlined striking
- Engineered from the proven 'Trophy Getters Boxing Gloves®' mould
Browse the range
Check out all of our Punch Boxing Gloves available online in a wide range of colours and weights.