Boxing Basics: How to make a fist and punching tips for Boxing
BOXING BASICS: HOW TO MAKE A FIST & CORRECT BOXING STANCE – UPDATED 2020
In this instructional video, the founder of Punch Equipment, Bruce Townhill will quickly demonstrate how to correctly create a fist & how to stand for basic boxing techniques.
HOW TO MAKE A FIST
- Open your hand out flat.
- Close the fingers tightly.
- Bring your thumbs down & in to cover the fingers.
- The fist & arm should be straight to ensure you strike with the correct knuckles & minimize the risk of injury to the wrist joint.
HOW TO CREATE YOUR BOXING STANCE
- Stand naturally with your lead foot facing the target.
- Have your rear foot to the back approx. hip-width apart, facing out at approx. 45 degrees with the ball of your back foot off the ground slightly.
(This will allow you to comfortably step & pivot.)
- Bend your knees slightly, place approx. 70% of your weight onto your front foot & approx 30% onto your back foot.
(This allows you to keep the ball of your rear foot off the ground.)
- Place your rear hand onto the jawline so you feel it on your face.
- Bring your lead shoulder close to the chin with your lead hand in front & under the eye line so you’re ready to punch.